Friday, June 5, 2009

First Food Trail.....Day 2

It's official in my mind, and surprisingly, the hubby agrees - Avocado was a fail. Dangit!

Here's the thing though, I have been eating avocado slices every few days, and always use avocado oil on my salad and he's been fine, why when he eats it does he completely change? My theory is his gut isn't healed enough yet, and we need more time to get it there. Maybe one day guacamole will be in his future!

Yesterday was hubby's day home with the boy, and so when I got home I grilled him on the day's events to see if the small changes I saw overnight exploded into anything worse in the 12+hours after ingestion.

How were his naps? how do his eyes look? his bum? was he cranky? screetchy? jumpy when you held him? putting his thumb in his ear? was he warmer than usual? did he have his mouth open more?

I grilled my hubby like a NY detective grills a suspect. Every little thing I could imagine seeing a change in I asked about. And as Phil started to answer yes to many of my questions, I think the light bulb went off for him too. It's too coincidental that a multitude of changes are brought on by food exposure simultaneously, to the point where as a group of symptoms they cannot be attributed to "just being 11mo old".

The naps. The same child that had taken 90min naps morning and afternoon consistently for the past week or so, and had a 3hr nap in the morning and another 90min nap in the afternoon just the day before, went to waking up 45min into both naps, needing to be soothed and held to complete the rest of the nap. Ding Ding Ding. Same exact thing happened when we had the "peach infraction".

His eyes looked more wrinkled than they had the day before, with a tinge of puffiness. His bum looked ok to Phil, but he was definitely crankier and needier than he had been in days. I experienced this when I got home too, wanted up, but once he was in my arms, wanted down or if being entertained, it didn't satiate him for more than 5min. He was wiggly as anything too, which given how calm and chill he had been the last week, was a glaring sign that his little body was in overdrive. He was still very warm when I got home, enough so that I took his temp and it was 99.7°. And for the rest of the evening, I noticed his mouth was open a lot more. When he is happy and content, he keeps his mouth closed and breathes through his nose, but when he's reacting, he keeps his mouth open. Weird I know, but its one of the signs I have caught on to.

Our evening and his attitude were eerily similar to two weeks prior. Frustrated and defeated, I worried what sleep would be like that night and how in heck I would ever get this wiggly little guy calm enough to go to sleep. Phil was running errands and honestly I wasn't in the mood to do a full on tubby with Captain Wiggle Worm, but I knew he needed some sort of detox to help him out. Rather than an epsom salts bath, I warmed up grapeseed oil on the stove, and added the salts to it to dissolve. After I added even more salts, brought the oil and the bubs upstairs and proceeded to give him a spa-like salt scrub massage. All over his legs, torso and arms, I worked in the mix to hopefully pull out any toxins being released by the reaction. I also put Oil of Oregano on his feet, again to help draw out the toxins. Nursing him down took a little longer than normal, and you could tell he was trying to get comfy and just couldn't. Finally asleep, I laid him in his crib and honestly guessed that it wouldn't last long, and we'd have one of those nights. Funny thing happened....HE SLEPT 3 HOURS! Then once in bed with us, he slept another 3 hours, then 90min then another 90min. I really think the salts helped him recover from the avocado infraction!

But as I was nursing him to sleep, the overreactionary, worried mom in me took over. My kid can't even eat an avocado! I know maybe it's just fruits or stone fruits or whatever, and its not ALL FOOD, but right now, my little boy is so "behind" with the food stuff and it finally hit me. I started to worry about his brain development, and strong bones and growing tall and achieving everything we want for him, and worrying that somehow this stupid food thing is going to seriously put him at health, atheletic or academic disadvantages. And then I cried. Luckily I have a good partner who reminds me that this won't last forever and with everything we have to offer as his parents, Chase will be just fine. And he's right!

0 comments: