We are on Day 14 of using a combo of elemental formula and reduced solids to heal Chase's gut. We are on Day 9 of absolutely no solids. Here's what we've discovered...
When our doc told us to start the elemental formula and pull most solids except for meat and broth, I was excited, thinking I would see marked improvement immediately. I didn't. Chase did take to the stuff, as it tastes like liquid marshmallows, but we didn't see the "new baby" we had hoped for. Luckily, I have some internet angels watching over me.
I made some snarky post on Facebook about my $50-a-can-not-covered-by-insurance-just-forclose-on-us-now formula, and it elicited quite a few comments. A friend from HS commented that her daughter was allergic to both the milk, and the beef of a cow, and she didn't improve until she pulled beef as well. Hmmmmm.....my kid is only on elemental formula, BM and meat. Maybe she was onto something. So like any good aller-mom, we did a food trial. I stopped the beef for him, and I didn't eat it for 4 days. Now mind you, I have been existing on copious amounts of steak just to keep up my calories with our ridiculous ED's, but I digress.....So for 4 days, no beef. Then I ate it for dinner. Well wouldn't you know, he improved in the 3 days I wasn't eating it, then woke up gassy and with a mild rash the day after. Hmmmm....I think I found my 2nd false negative from our IgGs. The first was butternut squash, and now beef.
Here is how Chase has improved over the last 14 days on this plan
- night waking is better, despite teething
- much more verbal again. I am getting clear as day Mama's now
- happier and calmer little dude
- stopped whacking at his ears, or putting his thumb in his ear
- eye circles are almost gone
- eye wrinkles are gone
- skin rashes have all but disappeared
- he's snugglier (my favorite one)
- he doesn't need to nurse every waking.
So today we had our 1st appt with the nutritionist, focusing on what we can eat and when. We have gotten the go ahead to reintroduce solids slowly, 1 new food every 5 days, starting with the safest food families and working up. I am petrified to try solids again, I just don't want the nightmares of before. I will probably be my own worst enemy, too cautious as we try to get back to eating somewhat normally. For me, and my weight loss and nutrient deficiencies, she wants me on a Cal/Mg+D supp, plus zinc, in addition to what I am already taking. Picked up the zinc losenges today at WF, and ordering a safe Cal/Mg tonight. And because Larabars have seemed to pass, and they contain tree nuts, she's ok'd nut butters excpet for peanuts, so I can get more protein that way as well. 2800 calories a day is the goal, and broadening our foods as quickly as possible.
We have another appt with the GI next monday, so we'll start solids on Friday, so I can examine him head to toe every hour for changes and hopefully be able to go to the appt saying, "yay, we got avocados back!" Who ever thought I would get so excited about avocados!

0 comments:
Post a Comment