We saw the nutritionist on Monday and she worried that we have been off solids for a long time, and doens't want to see any developmental regressions because solids are not a part of Chase's diet. She implored us to try solids by our next GI appt, which is this coming Monday. So we tried avocado, what should be a relatively harmless food and a really nutrient dense food. He's done ok with me eating it and getting it via BM, but how did he fare?
We started with a skin test. I smeared avocado mush on his forearm and waited an hour. He didn't have a rash, so I proceeded. I gave his about a tablespoon of avocado and waited an hour. He seemed fine. Cool. He had already taken a 3 hr nap, and took another 90min nap until 5:30, so it did not seem to disrupt his sleep. I gave him 3 tablespoons for dinner. He was a bit cranky as the night progressed which given how much he slept during the day, surprised me. When I changed his diaper, his bum was a little red, but no red ring. I started to wonder how our night would go, fearing this was just the beginning...
He sat in my lap and rocked while we read one book. This is actually a test for me, if he is super wiggly and doesn't want to cuddle, its a cue that he is reacting. The last few nights he has sat through 2, sometimes 3 books. Last night was just one, then a little play on the floor, and nursing. Took a while to nurse him down, and he needed to work a substantial burp out, but he nursed down by 9 or 9:30.
I happened to fall asleep with him, and don't remember my hubby waking me up from the Lazy Boy in the nursery to our bed, but I remember the first wake at midnight-ish, and his cry was different. He woke at 2, 4, 5 and up for the day at 6. His wakes seemed more disturbed, with a different cry and he seemed a little pissed when waking up. This morning, he was jived, a tad irritable, and only wanted Mumma. His skin felt warm, but he didn't have hives. He followed me to the front door and cried when I left for work, a first.
The way food trials go, or at least the way I do them, is skin test, small amount on day 1, wait for delayed reactions on day 2, food again on day 3, again wait on day 4.....Based on how Day 1 went, I am just not sure if avocado passes....
Thursday, June 4, 2009
First Food Trail.....Day 1 a fail?
Posted by Erin at 10:37 AM
Labels: allergies, Food Trials, solid food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment