Yay!
I didn't even know it was *illegal* to BF in public in Mass (how sad, the thought), but now, I, and so many other mothers are protected from harassment for doing so. I am almost tempted to go to Starbucks and test this out. You think anyone will spit out their latte?
While this is a great thing, it really is a damn shame that our country even needs laws like this. It shows how twisted our consumerist life has distorted the simple act of feeding a child, making it into a sexual act deemed inappropriate for public consumption. The comments, mostly from men, that follow the article on Boston.com show how uneducated the public is about breastfeeding. The comments of discretion, private act, and "use the bathroom" all point to the greater issue in this country, that we as a general public don't see breastfeeding as BESTFEEDING.
I grew up being told smoking is bad, and when I see people do it, it kinda disgusts me. The same way when I see someone not breastfeeding a baby under 6 months old, I kind of get woozy, because I know its not the best thing for their health. Women wean early because we as a society don't view breastfeeding as a necessary aspect of raising a child, and thus employees feel bad about taking time to pump, or EBF moms regaled themselves to a stall to feed their child. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE!
This just makes me so proud to call myself a lactavist! We are what this country needs so opinions change and breastfeeding is embraced here.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Breastfeeding Law Passes in MASS
Posted by Erin at 10:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment